Puppy Jack tried his best to guard the drug house


Over the years Animal Advocates has been called frequently by social service agencies asking for our help with a dog that needs AAS's rescue services. We were called about a pup, tied to the door of a derelict drug house in Vancouver's Downtown East Side where there are many homeless people and many people who prey on them.

Jack was rescued years ago. We're telling his story now because Jack has died, of happy old age, when no one can take him away and give him back to his abuser. We don't tell a dog's story until the dog is safe from being found, and safe from the law giving the dog back to its abuser.

This is Jack's 'In Memoriam' story.

The call came from a cook at the Union Gospel Mission's kitchen in Vancouver's Downtown East Side. He asked for anonymity, which we always give. He had good reason to fear reprisals from the dealer in the ramshackle old house across the lane, if the pup disappeared, and the dealer found out the caller had anything to do with it.

We went with our tools: three sizes of bolt-cutters, metal cutters, and a knife for cutting rope. But as we approached the pup, who was cringing in fear while pitifully wagging his tail, we saw that our knife was no match for the thick marine rope that he was tied to the drug dealer's door with.

The Union Gospel Mission cook had been waiting for us, standing in the kitchen doorway to the alley. He saw our dilemma, and without a word, went back into the kitchen, got a big, sharp knife, and handed it to us. That did the trick.

We stole that pup right from under the sleeping (or stoned), drug dealer's nose.

We wish we had photos of Jack tied by that heavy rope, but our camera was the one piece of equipment that had been left at home.

We can tell you - that pup danced with joy all over our van on the way home. He did what so many dogs do, so hysterically happy to be off their chains: he tried to climb on top of our head - not safe for any of us. But he was so good and so willing to please that pushing him off, saying Stay down Jack, was all it took to make him stop trying to get up as high as he could. But it didn't stop the wet kisses on the back of our necks. Why would we want to stop that!

Jack's "Mum" told us recently that he had died, an old and happy boy, after a long life of gentle love and daily hikes on the North Shore mountains.


[ back to top ]